The Withdrawal Agreement

If you were legally resident in Slovakia before 1 January 2021, 

You should check that you ayour rights will be protected by the Withdrawal correctly registered and should get a new residence document by 30 June 2021 to evidence your rights.

Visas and residency

If you were legally resident in Slovakia before 1 January 2021, you need to apply for a new residency document (Povolenie na pobyt).

All UK nationals must obtain a new residence card for Third Country (non-EU) nationals (Povolenie na pobyt) by 30 June 2021.

If you do not you may have to pay a fine, but your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement will not be affected. If you have an EU Residence Card, it will become invalid after 30 June 2021, regardless of the card’s expiry date.

Passports and travel

You should carry your residence card (EU residency card or non-EU card), as well as your valid passport when you travel. If you have applied for a non-EU card but not yet received it, you can carry your certificate of application.

If you have not yet applied for a residence card, you should carry evidence that you are resident in Slovakia. This could include a tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name, dating from 2020.

If you cannot show that you are resident in Slovakia, you may be asked additional questions at the border to enter the Schengen area, and your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in Slovakia.


You must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). This requirement does not apply if you are entering or transiting to Slovakia, and you are in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

Renew your passport before booking your travel if you do not have enough time left on your passport.

As a non-EEA national, different border checks will apply when travelling to other EU or Schengen area countries. You may have to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing. You may also need to show a return or onward ticket.


Brexit and your residence in Slovakia

We are glad to provide you our services.

Contact us

Related posts:

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons