Muránska planina (translated as Muráň Plateau or Muráň Plain) is a plateau-like region in central Slovakia, between Brezno, Červená Skala, Muráň and Tisovec. It lies in the Spiš-Gemer Karst, in the Slovenské rudohorie Mountains (part of the Western Carpathian Mountains).
Muránska planina National Park is one of the youngest national parks in Slovakia, declared in October 1997 and opened on 27 May 1998.
The National Park of Muránska planina with its wild mountain karstic landscape and minimum human interventions is located between central and eastern parts of Slovakia. On the top of the peek, we find the fabled ruins of the Castle of Muráň.
The Muránska planina plateau was designated the National Park in 1997 on the area of cca 203 ha and protected area of 217 ha. The administration of the National Park Muránska planina seats in Revúca. The territory of the Park contains numerous karstic springs, swallow holes, and jets, more than 300 caves and 15 abysses. Its terrain is refreshed by sink holes, grikes, canyons, rock towers, and rock windows. There is a dwarf pinewood at the lowest altitude in Slovakia. The predominating woods vary from oakwoods to beechwoods and from deal beechwoods to alpine spruce fir forests.
About 1,400 species of vascular plants grow here. There is a natural occurence of creodonts – grey wolf (Canis lupus), brown bear (Ursus arctos) and Eurasian lynx (Lynx lynx).
The points that offer the access for hiking are the villages Tisovec, Muráň and Červená Skala. Attractive places for hiking also include Závadka nad Hronom and saddleback Zbojská.
What to visit in the area of Muránska planina?
- Visit Muran castle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mur%C3%A1%C5%88_Castle
- enjoy good food at salas Zbojska http://www.zbojska.sk/
- meet horses at the national park http://www.muranskaplanina.com/zaujimavosti-uzemia/priroda/kone-na-planine/
- visit bordering region Gemer and enjoy the local food http://www.salaspodmaginhradom.sk/
- enjoy your stay and visit the local marmots too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_npT33qj8Y
We are glad to provide you our services.