A third-country national has the same right to use employment services as a citizen of the Slovak Republic, provided:
- she or he has been granted work permit and temporary residence permit for the purpose of employment,
- they are holders of the EU Blue Card,
- they are asylum applicants whose labour market entry is permitted by Act No. 480/2002 on asylum.
An employer that has a registered office in the territory of the Slovak Republic can hire in employment only a third-country national who meets the conditions above.
A third-country national shall, prior to arrival on the territory of the Slovak Republic, apply in writing for a employment permit at the competent office of labour, social affairs and family, in whose territorial jurisdiction he or she is to carry out employment. The application for the employment permit can also be made by a prospective employer, a legal person, or a natural person to whom the third-country national will be sent to carry out work.
The employer’s promise to hire a third-country national in employment shall be the component part of the application for granting of a employment permit.
The Office can grant the employment permit to a third-country national, if the vacancy cannot be filled with a jobseeker that has been filed in the Jobseekers Register.
The employment permit shall be granted for maximum period of the duration of the employment relation but not exceeding the period of two years or five years, if governed by an international treaty, which is the Slovak Republic obliged to apply and in case of its absence, if the reciprocity is ensured. In case of seasonal employment, it shall not exceed the period of six months in a calendar year, so as to have at least a lapse of six months separating individual employments in the territory of the Slovak Republic.
- pursuant to Article 22 par. 8 must not exceed 48 months for a period of five years following subsequently (this does not apply for a third country national, who has been granted a work permit for more than two years)
How to submit an application for a work permit
- an application for a work permit must be submitted in writing to the relevant Labour Office, based on the territorial jurisdiction of the employment
- it must also be accompanied by the relevant documentation
- for more information please consult the Central Office of Labour, Social Affairs and Family
Assessment of an application for a work permit
- when considering the application by the relevant labour authority a labour market test is applied
- the work permit is issued without a delay, after the person meets the necessary conditions
- there is no administrative fee applied
- there is no legal claim on obtaining the work permit
3) OBTAIN A TEMPORARY RESIDENCE for the purpose of employment
- a temporary residence for the purpose of employment is defined in Article 23 of the Act no. 404/2011 Coll. on Residence of Aliens
- temporary residence entitles a third country national to stay, to leave and to re-enter the territory of the Slovak Republic during the period of validity of the residence permit for the purpose of employment
How to submit an application for a temporary residence for the purpose of employment
- an application for a temporary residence for the purpose of employmentmust be submitted in person, in writing in the Slovak language and must be accompanied by the relevant documentation
- it can be submitted at the diplomatic mission of the Slovak Republic accredited to the country of foreigner´s citizenship or the country of foreigner´s residence, or at the competent police department in the Slovak Republic
Assessment of the application for a temporary residence for the purpose of employment
- it is a general rule, that a police department shall decide on the application for a temporary residence within 90 days following the date of the receipt of the complete application
- an administrative fee is applied in the amount of EUR 165.50, and an administrative fee of EUR 4.50 for issuing the residence document (i.e. ID card)
We are glad to provide you our services.